Belle of Liberty

Letting Freedom Ring

Saturday, January 01, 2011

New Year’s 2011 Resolutions

Like all New Year’s resolution defaulters, I like to blame my broken resolutions on their impossibility. Lose weight – impossible. At best, I’m maintaining. Get more exercise – impossible, I haven’t time for walking around town. Save money – well that’s something I’ve been able to do, at least until Christmas rolls around. With all the advances in technology, spending money is practically a given.

Besides, many of my resolutions this new year’s are on a grander scale:

1. Defend freedom at all costs. Right now, Saving Private Ryan is on. This film is one of the grimmest reminders of how much our fighting forces sacrificed to defend freedom. Freedom is definitely imperiled. Even now, there are Liberals who sneer at the word. Death and violence are unpleasant, and surrender often seems the “safer” alternative. Young people today are more interested in a free lunch than a free country. We haven’t much time left before the iron bars of tyranny clang around us. They must be made to understand what is at stake before it’s too late.

2. Promote economic freedom and capitalism. The government is a very poor business partner. Had a Liberal government held the reins in the 19th and early 20th century, we wouldn’t have had the train, the bicycle, the bicycle’s follow-up, the motorcycle, the car, the airplane, the modern jet, or satellites in space. The government is the reason we haven’t been able to reach much beyond our own moon. There’s too much money to be made in the bureaucratic welfare state to waste it on building rockets. Besides, liberty-loving earthlings might escape and spread freedom across the galaxy. Zounds!

3. Read. I’ve increased my reading and intend to increase it even more. Always a slow reader, I’ve discovered the secrets of faster reading. Right now, I’m reading The Longest Day, the very story the movie that is on right now is about. Some books, like The Iliad, I’ve read, but I may give a quick re-read, as The National Review tells us it was the book Alexander carried around with him.

4. Order more copies of The National Center for Constitutional Studies’ The Constitution of the United States and The Declaration of Independence. Happily, I work in my company’s public relations department and will distribute them, if I’m allowed (and sneak them to the kids, if I’m not).

5. Sharpen up my many skills. There’s no guarantee I’ll be employed this time next year. In fact, there’s a good chance I won’t be. I intend to remain devoted to this blog. I’ve also been practicing my typing, as I will probably wind up at some temporary agency again. My photography portfolio is up-to-date. My musical skills need brushing up on, though. If I’m really desperate, I can always play keyboard on the street corner. As I expect inflation, I’ve been stocking up some of the necessaries now. But I haven’t given up on my job quite yet, and although I expect the reorganization will not be in my favor, I intend to go down with all flags flying. In any case, such an event would free me to write the many books I’ve been waiting to write all these years.

6. Don’t bother with nasty people (especially nasty co-workers). Give them a wide berth. At my stage in life, I don’t have the energy or the inclination to get into stupid battles over PowerPoint presentations. The word for 2011 is: whatever.

7. Eat healthier. I really intend to do just that. Since the summer, I’ve been giving the new diet (less red meat, more protein from other souces, and, more water, and Chai tea – yummy!!!! – the vanilla flavor is like eggnog, without the egg and the cholesterol) a chance and it seems to be working. I have more energy than I did, though not necessarily strength. One thing that’s going out with the old year is heavy lifting. I’ve rearranged my quarters so the heaviest items (like the Christmas light box) stays in the house, and useless stuff either gets tossed in the trash or the basement.

8. Remain positive. My mother’s saying, “Better Days Are Coming” has supported me through many a trial, especially at work. It’s a Depression-era saying that seems to keep depression away.

9. Do the crossword puzzle every day. That was one of last year’s resolutions that didn’t stick. I highly recommend doing them to keep your brains from getting rusty. It really works. It increases your knowledge, vocabulary, and spelling.

10. Resolve to do God’s will. Trust in God. He’ll never let you down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home