Belle of Liberty

Letting Freedom Ring

Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Day After Christmas

It's the day after Christmas
And all through my blog
I've no intention of stirring
Except for my eggnog

Christmas 2010 has come and gone. This was an eventful Christmas season, with two concerts, one Santa Claus photo session, two Christmas parties, and [mostly] online shopping, the greatest gift ever bestowed upon harried shoppers.

A friend tells me they were all out at the after-Christmas holiday sales this morning. Everyone in our area went out early, as a blizzard is on its way. I don’t know whether our office will be closed tomorrow. But just in case, I brought my laptop computer home with me last Wednesday, telling the editor (who’s in the Philadelphia area that they were predicting snow showers, but to expect a blizzard).

My younger brother’s big present was his all-purpose, playing everything blu-ray DVD player. My older brother’s big present was two gift cards to Red Lobster – one to take his lady friend to dinner, the other to take our mother out to dinner, whom he routinely mooches dinner from. Mom is still undecided about her laptop. The family all loved my bells, which they hadn’t yet seen. I gave them a little concert and they agreed they have a beautiful sound.

But the really big present was the Obama Bobblehead Doll, which stands, maybe, 12 inches high. He made a big hit and had everyone in hysterics. My brother was impatient for my nephew to open it, but I told he just had to wait. My nephew, of course, seizing the opportunity to tantalize his parental unit, left it until last, as I suggested.

This Obama is dressed in a green money suit (the suit and pants have dollar signs), and he’s holding a sack of taxpayer money. His head bobbles up and down with that cheesy smile of his, as he gives everyone the ol’ shellacking. My brother was so excited that he inveigled my nephew to let him take it home (they came in separate cars because my nephew’s other grandfather is extremely ill with emphysema and The Nephew wanted – rightly – to spend Christmas with him) so he could show it to his lady friend on the way home.

My brother wants me to see if I can order Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid, to make a trio. I told him I would see what I could do. As I recall, I missed getting Older Brother a birthday present in November, so if I can, I may just order these two characters for him.

Just after the election, the real bobblehead was quite downcast. The House of Representatives had completely flipped over. The Tea Parties were jubilant; for them it would be a Happy New Year. But Bobblehead of the House and her followers still managed to sneak a few treats into Obama’s stocking: The Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell repeal; The Start Treaty; A Tax Deal; and the 9/11 Health Bill. Nobody would mind benefits for the 9/11 responders; it’s just that such a bill, as written by the Democrats and RINOs, is bound to be rife with corruption. Nor will it prevent fraud. Not if the Dems and RINOs have anything to do with it.

As I look out my window, I see Mother Nature is giving the Northeast the White Christmas it wished for – albeit, a day late. That’s okay; I wouldn’t have been happy cooking a big meal for guests who wouldn’t be able to come. They were supposed to come over tonight again for dinner, but as we’re in the midst of blizzard, that’s not going to happen.

That means I get all the candied sweet potatoes to myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home