Belle of Liberty

Letting Freedom Ring

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pre-Existing Foolishness

When I was in my early Twenties, just after college and starting to work, my mother told me I should get a health insurance policy. Being young and healthy, I just waved her off. She was just being middle-aged and stuffy, I thought. I’d worry about being unhealthy when that time came.

I didn’t listen to her when she told me at age 23 that my premium would be pretty darned cheap and always would be. The older I got and the longer, I waited, the more expensive the premium would be. I couldn’t count on an employer necessarily footing the bill. I could be fired, laid. The company could go out of business and then what would I do? The same things could happen in the next company. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Yeah. There’s no one I can blame. I should have thought more about independence when I was 23. Having my own health insurance so no one could dangle it over my head when I was older, like a company or the government.

Lay-offs are not only in the cards at my company; they’re written in stone, and my head is on the chopping block just like everyone else’s. Had I listened to my mother when I was 23, I wouldn’t be wondering where I’m going to get the money to pay for my blood pressure medication. I wouldn’t have to live in fear of some catastrophic illness or some other misfortune of health.

Darn. But here comes Obamacare making all sorts of promises. Only – I’m over 50 now and the government’s going to take care of their own first. Oh sure, they’ll take care of me – as long as I allow them to run my life. I haven’t read this 2,000 page bill, but judging by their past actions, they’ll force me to take all sorts of tests I don’t want. Instead of a physician’s assistant taking my blood pressure, some bureaucrat will be there, wagging their finger at me.

Why should other taxpayers have to pay for my foolishness and negligence when I was younger? Or anyone else’s mistakes? A tax is a penalty, and we’re going to penalized heavily for everything from obese teens and early pregnancies to double-wide wheel-chair scooters and cough medicine people should be able to buy over the counter with their own money.

But the battle is still on. The Republicans have voted to repeal Obamacare. While there’s little chance of it being signed, it sends a message to Fedzilla: we’re paying attention. Of course, the GOP has agreed to this kindergarten nonsense of sitting among the Democrats during the State of the Union address, precisely when they should be forming ranks in opposition to them. We didn’t send the Republicans to Congress to hold hands with the Liberals and sing, “I love you, you love me, we’re just one big Democracy.”  Well, we knew this was a pre-existing condition for the GOP before this last election.

I hope the Republicans rethink that strategy of “Can’t we all just get along?” If not, I’ll have to go out to the store and stock up on Pepto Bismol, because if I have to watch them holding hands and sing about feel-good deficits, I might just become violently ill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home